A-Give (2) reasons why we are using drug level monitoring? (1 mark)
B-Give (2) possible reasons, why was lithium level raised in this patient? (1 mark)
C-Give (2) other drugs that have a narrow therapeutic index? (1 mark)
- Avoid toxicity
- Adjust dosing to improve efficacy
- Monitor compliance or determine failure of therapy
B. – The narrow therapeutic index (0.6-1.2mmol/l) – small elevation on the normal level, it causes toxicity.
- non-compliance- patient with bipolar disorder are prone to a dosage increase accidentally.
- change in a patient’s physiology (eg.renal or hepatic impairment)- Dehydration, electrolytes imbalances, kidney function impairment.
- Potentially interacting drug- Interactions with other medications.
C. – Digoxin
- Warfarin Sodium Tablets
- Levothyroxine Sodium
Please login or Register to submit your answer